Based on the work of Dr Peter Clinch of the University of Cardiff, JustCite supports searching for documents by common name. The common names known to JustCite are listed by material type under the links to the left.
The list of common names is maintained manually, and comes from a variety of sources.
- Case Law – originally derived from Peter Clinch’s work and subsequently maintained by Justis based on user feedback and suggestions.
- Legislation – maintained by Justis based on user feedback and suggestions
- EU – maintained by Justis based on user feedback and suggestions
We welcome new suggestions for common names. We will usually require independent verification that the common name is in general use, in the form of a reference to the document by common name in:
- a judgment of a court;
- an official publication of a government department;
- an official publication of the EU; or
- an article in a respected journal.
We will not usually require verification if the suggestion comes from a person who is:
- A judge;
- Leading counsel;
- A partner in a Legal 500 law firm; or
- A senior law librarian employed at a Russell Group academic institution, a senior court, a legal professional body* or a Legal 500 law firm.
*i.e. The Law Society, The Bar Council, the Inns of Court, the Judicial Studies Board, the Institute of Legal Executives, the Bar Standards Board and the Solicitors Regulation Authority.